Saturday, May 22, 2010

"Things" get marketing

I admit it. I am a sucker for tech gadgets. I also appreciate great marketing when I see it. As I was looking for apps for my new iPad, I ran across a "to do" manager called "Things". Two items worthy of note: a professional video and a $20 price tag!

The Video
Cultured Code, the creator of "Things", obviously did the homework to know their audience. They counted on the early adopter of the iPad to be looking for cool apps that showcase the abilities of the iPad device.

They knew that Apple had created a certain look and style for advertising the iPad. What they did was leverage the advertising investment that Apple was making, to promote "Things", and did they ever get it right.

The Price
Because they had their product and promotion ready for the launch, they were one of the first "to do" list managers in the market on the iPad. Instead of basing their pricing strategy on the iPhone, as others did, they correctly judged that the early adopter audience would be willing to pay much more than the standard $5.00 price point. Can they hold that price.. maybe not, but they are on the top grossing lists of applications.

Know your audience first, then develop your go-to-market strategy.

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Good post, just goes to show, cool is king.